Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is Knowledge Management - Part 1

Very simply, in order to do my job effectively, easy and reliable access to relevant data is vital. What are the tools that allow me to search and retrieve all data that I need? What form will that data become? Files, records, drawings, an object's physical attributes.

If I make a change to that data, how does that affect someone else downstream. Is that user notified? Are there rules, checks and balances, data validation in place to ensure my change didn't screw something up?

Knowledge Management then is herding, sorting, sifting, evolving, categorizing, and using all data that is needed at precisely the moment it is required. It is a huge computing problem and one that has not been adequately solved. (ran out of "ing" verbs)

More later, it is time for a beverage - something with malt and hops!

No comments:

Post a Comment